San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, the university has grown to become a nationally ranked research university. Renowned for its academic excellence, SDSU is home to top-ranking programs in international business, entrepreneurship, speech-language pathology, geography and other areas. SDSU is home to approximately 30,000 students and an alumni base of more than 200,000. The Carneigie Foundation has designated San Diego State University a “Research University with high research activity.” SDSU is the only California State University campus with this classification, which places it among the top 200 higher education institutions in the country conducting research.
Check out this movie about SDSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0DixFfeoo&feature=relmfu
SDSU is home to 17 varsity athletic teams, most notably NCAA Division 1 basketball and football. In addition, SDSU offers a wide variety of intramural and club sports teams, including soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis, rowing, and even frisbee and surfing.
As SDSU offers many campus organizations. You can see the full list here: https://orgapp.sdsu.edu/Search/List
- Excerpt from the California State University Consortium’s website.
Campus Based Fees
Exchange students are required to pay campus based fees :
Total Campus Fees: $737 per year as of 2013-2014
International students can live either on or off campus:
- • SDSU has six main residence halls. Refer to http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/housing/halls.aspx for information on each specific hall. Click on the names of each residence hall in the upper right-hand box titled "The Halls" to see layout plans and descriptions.
- • In addition to regular dormitories, SDSU offers International Students with a Living Community called Global Pathways. This is a highly recommended choice for International Students as the American students in this Living Community are older and the housing is more apartment-style than traditional dorm rooms. For all information and to begin the application process, click on this link http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/housing/rlc-global.aspx
- • The residence halls are the best way to meet American students and understand the American lifestyle.
- • Remember, demand for on-campus housing often exceeds supply, so request at the time of application. Please visit the housing website for more details : http://housing.sdsu.edu/housing/
• The San Diego State campus is located in a very residential area and therefore has lots of off-campus housing to choose from. Many students choose to live off-campus simply because of the close proximity to the school. All three of these options are located one street away.
- •Each off-campus option is the same apartment-style living, although the floor plans for each are different. Electricity, water, and gas charges also differ depending on the apartment you choose, some are included, some are not.
SDSU does not accept Chartis. Students are strongly advised to purchase the University approved health insurance. It is mandatory that your insurance meets all the university requirements.
Please see the cost of living for San Diego State for the academic year:
- • Living Expenses (Food, Housing, Books, Personal): $18,673
- • Health Insurance: $1,327
- • Total: $20,000 per year/$10,000 per semester