The State University of New York at New Paltz, known as SUNY New Paltz, is a public university in New Paltz, NY. It was founded in 1828 as the School for teaching of classics. In 1885, the New Paltz Normal and Training School was established as a school to prepare teachers for the public schools of New York State.
SUNY at New Paltz currently offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees, with over 100 undergraduate and 50 graduate degree programs. Currently, almost 8,000 students attend SUNY at New Paltz—over 6,200 undergraduates and over 1,600 graduate students.
The college consists of the Schools of Education, Fine and Performing Arts, Business, Science and Engineering, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
In Fall 2010, SUNY New Paltz counted 325 full-time, 83% holding a Ph.D. or terminal degree. The Student-to-Faculty Ratio is 16:1.
The school is well-known for many programs, including The Legislative Gazette, a journalism and political science internship in which students live/work in the state capitol and produce a weekly newspaper about state politics.
SUNY at New Paltz contains three on-campus theaters:
SUNY New Paltz has men’s and women’s intercollegiate sports. The mascot for the college’s sports teams is the hawk.
New Paltz is a town in Ulster County, located in the southeastern part of the county and south of Kingston, New York. The name of the town is derived from Palz, the German dialect name of the Rhenish Palatinate, called “Pfalz”.
The town of New Paltz was founded in 1678 by both patent and purchase from the local Esopus tribe. The first settlers were Huguenot refugees from Mannheim in the German Palatinate, who settled around the present-day village of New Paltz.
Kingston is a city in and the county seat of Ulster County. It is 91 miles (146 km) north of New York City and 59 miles (90 km) south of Albany. It became New York’s first capital in 1777, and was burned by the British Oct. 16, 1777, after the Battles of Saratoga. In the 19th century, the city became an important transport hub after the discovery of natural cement in the region, and had both railroad and canal connections. Passenger rail service has since ceased, and many of the older buildings are part of historic districts, such as the Stockade District uptown and the Rondout-West Strand Historic District downtown. Kingston is home to many historic churches. The oldest church still standing is the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Kingston which was organized in 1659. Referred to as The Old Dutch Church, it is located in Uptown Kingston. Many of the city’s historic churches populate Wurts street (6 in one block) among them Celebration Chapel is a recently restored church built in 1867 and now a chapel hosting same-sex weddings. Another church in the Rondout is Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church located on Spring Street. Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1849. The original church building at the corner of Hunter Street and Ravine Street burned to the ground in the late 1850′s. The current church on Spring Street was built in 1874.
26 rue du Faubourg St. Jacques
T. +33 (0)1 40 51 76 96
F. +33 (0)1 44 07 18 10